Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Twisty Paneer Makhni

Soaring prices of onions and tomatoes made me wonder if I will have to give up my favorite dishes for the sake of monthly budget. I am a die hard fan of Paneer Makhni and started thinking if I could try making without using too many onions and tomatoes. And try I did - with all the modifications I could think up on with the end result much better than my expectations. The dish does have onions and tomatoes but instead of finishing your stock, you will use very little of these two vegetables And since I had to twist the recipe to make this dish, I decided to call it Twisty Paneer Makhni.



Ingredients:

Paneer or cottage cheese - 200 gms

One finely chopped onion

Tomatoes - 3

Bottle gourd peeled and cut into small pieces - 100 gms

Yellow pumpkin  peeled and cut into small pieces - 100 gms

Poppy seeds soaked in water - 1 tsp

Ginger garlic paste - 0.5 tsp

Pinch of hing

Turmeric powder - just to impart color

Red chilli powder - 0.5 tsp

Coriander powder - 0.5 tsp

Kasuri methi - 0.5 tsp
Cumin seeds
Oil

  • Heat some oil, add the onions and fry till translucent.
  • Add the pumkin. Fry for a few seconds and add bottle gourd and tomatoes.
  • Fry for another 2 to 3 mins and then add 1/4 cup water and pressure cook it till one whistle.
  • Allow the mixture to cool completely and then blend it in a mixer.
  • Heat the remaining oil and add cumin seeds. When they start crackling,  add hing and then the ginger garlic paste. 
  • Fry them till the raw smell goes. Now add the blended mixture along with the dry spices. Allow it to simmer till oil separates.Grind the poppy seeds and add to the mixture along with the paneer.
  • Add ½ cup of water and simmer for 2-3 mins.Garnish with kasuri methi and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment